Thursday, February 07, 2008

Plan for 2008

There are so many things that needed to be done in order for me to complete this project. From hardware cleaning to new set of cymbals. Of course it cost a lot of money too but for this year, I will restrict it to upgrading the drums or the shellpacks only. That'll include cleaning all the hardwares, buying new set of tension rods, put new nylon washers and upgrading to optimounts. As for tension rods, I've found the 52mm long in JS Music. Its from Gibraltar which a leading drum hardware makers. Bentley have only the 43mm which is too short for my lugs. The price for the Gibraltar's tension rods is quite reasonable which only about RM10 for one set which have 6 rods. I also need to replace the rusty and old metal washers with nylon washers. This will protect the hoops and will provide extra tuning range.

I also planned to replaced the rubber feet for my floor tom legs with Pearl Air Suspension rubber feets. This is just pure cosmetic as from my random reading from PDF, it really dont have significant difference in term of sounds compared to normal one. Optimount is going to be here in few days as soon as I get my salary but for new tom arms, I will buy it later because I already have the old one. Owh, another crucial thing is new head for 13" tom. I will go for Evans EC2 as the metal ring will hopefully eliminates the buzzing that will come from the uneven shell bearing edge.

So here is the summary of what need to be done and buy for this year.

Buy

i) Gibraltar 52mm tension rods for toms (40 pieces)
ii) Nylon washers (52 pieces including the bass drum)
iii) Tension rods for bass drum (16 pieces)
iv) Pearl Optimount (OPT-0910 and OPT-1112)
v) Pearl Air Suspension Rubber Feet (R40/3)
vi) Pearl TH1000S tom arms (2 pieces)
vii) EX Bass Drum Hoops EXRIM-22

I hope I'll able to save and buy all this within this year :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello, Matt from the US here. I love your journal of how you're upgrading your drums. I've done the same thing myself, upgrading my own older set of Pearl drums with similar hardware that you're using. I still play these drums 10 years later. By the way you might be surprised at how much sound improvement you get out of your floor toms with the air suspension feet. It made a dramatic difference for me. Also don't underestimate the importance of your bearing edges. It's one of the most important parts of tuning and getting good tone out of your drum. If they dented they can be recut, but if they're not round you'll have bigger problems. Check out Professor Sound's Drum Tuning Bible. It helped me a lot.

http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/index.html

Good luck!

Matt