Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Pearl International 1985

My journey to this "project" starts when I randomly post "anyone selling used bass drum, floor tom and toms" in Jamtank Classified Forum. It's not my intention to set a full drumset but I dont know... Its just happened to be that one of Jamtankers PMed me and yes he is selling those things plus hi-hat stand. The brand is Pearl Forum. I am so excited because the price is very reasonable and I started to collect all the resources that I've got and when the day is come, me and my brother went to Ipoh to get the drums.

As we waited about 2 hours at Pekan Lama in Ipoh, the seller came to us and brought us to his studio. It was Bacteria Records, one of leading Metal Label in Ipoh besides Indie Label, Bodysurf Music. Me and my brother was a bit dissapointed to see the drums. It was a badly abused drums. The batter and reso heads for the bass drums were worn, and there is also a defects on one of the floor's bracket. We had no choice to bring back the dusty drums and pay RM600 to them.

We headed back to our house and unloaded it. I took a plain white
cloth to clean all the dirts on the drums. It a bit rusty and am thinking of cleaning the whole drums. Gonna do it in my free time. The toms arm also look very worn but still can use. After cleaning it, setting up to 4 piece as I didnt bring my snare and are not buy any stands yet. It looks very old drums as I setting it without any cymbals. But it is what you get with that price. Patience is everything in this journey to complete my kit.

After I went back to campus to start my new semester, I start asking to Pearl's Forum about my drums. It is actually a Pearl International and it is 1985's model!!! So I guess my drums is 2006 minus 1985 is 21 years!!! Is it a vintage? Heh... I dont think so simply because I dont think the owner bought it at 1985. Maybe? Or maybe not.

The "Black Pearl" arrived.
Image hosting by Photobucket

The defected bracket, dusts and wrecked heads.
Image hosting by Photobucket

The setup after cleaning the dust.
Image hosting by Photobucket

The "Vintage" Pearl plate.(Its metal sticker btw)
Image hosting by Photobucket

3 comments:

Fabian said...

hello
visit fabianlp.blogspot.com and see my pearl international 1987

Anonymous said...

hey,
i also have a pearl international drumset. how much do you think i could sell it for if i fixed it up?

Tracy L. Conway said...

I have a Pearl International too, I got mine back in '86, so it was probably an '85 as well. I just dusted it off after 20 years and I've got major wrap issues with the kick drum. Kind of strange, it's always been inside in a climate controlled area. But, the cheapest Pearls you could buy.. so that probably explains a lot.